Angela Smith MP

Working hard for you

trees

Angela adds her name to calls for a Northern Forest

Angela Smith MP has joined with other northern MPs to write to the Prime Minister asking for his support and commitment to grow a Northern Forest.

The Northern Forest will see 50 million trees planted over the next 25 years in the North of England by the Woodland Trust and their partners, with more than 600,000 already in the ground. The forest will span 120 miles, connecting the towns and cities of Liverpool, Manchester and Lancaster to the West and Sheffield, Leeds and Hull to the East, benefiting 13 million residents and generating £2.5 billion in social, economic, and environmental benefits.

The letter asks for the Prime Minister’s commitment to deliver the Northern Forest and look at opportunities that support the development of green investment models

Angela said;

“As an environmentalist, I am proud to add my support to this initiative. It could be transformational for more than 13 million residents in the north, improving health and wellbeing.

It will help habitats thrive, as well as helping to tackle climate change, reduce the risk of flooding and create thousands of new jobs.

The Northern Forest is an initiative of international significance and I am pleased to play my part in helping to make it a reality.”

ENDS