Who are we?
The Data Controller is Angela Smith, Member of Parliament for Penistone and Stocksbridge. The office discharges the duties and functions of an elected Member of the UK Parliament. The office provides advice, support and representation for residents of Penistone and Stocksbridge, including constituency casework and policy queries.
Under the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) personal data is defined as: “any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person ('data subject'); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
Angela Smith MP and her office adhere to the 6 principles of data privacy:
- Personal data should be fairly and lawfully processed and should be done so in a transparent manner, ensuring that you are aware of both what and why we are processing your data
- Personal data should be processed for limited purposes and the purpose must be specified
- Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive, meaning we will only collect as much as we need to carry out our essential processing;
- Personal data should be accurate and up to date: if it is not, we will correct it within 1 month of receiving the request to correct;
- Personal data should not be kept longer than necessary. To ensure this we observe an information retention policy;
- Personal data must be secure. Angela Smith MP has in place appropriate technical and organisational measures to prevent accidental or deliberate loss, destruction or damage.
How we use your information
This privacy notice tells you how we, the Office of Angela Smith MP, will collect and use your personal data for carrying out casework, working on local issues and campaigns, making representations on your behalf, maintaining our own accounts and records, and supporting and managing our employees and agents.
Why does the Office of Angela Smith MP need to collect and store personal data?
In order for us to provide you advice, support and representation we need to collect personal data for correspondence purposes and, where necessary, to facilitate the resolution of concerns with government departments and agencies. In any event, we are committed to ensuring that the information we collect and use is appropriate for this purpose, and does not constitute an invasion of your privacy.
In terms of being contacted for marketing purposes or campaigning, the Office of Angela Smith MP would contact you for additional consent.
The Office of Angela Smith MP will process your data until the conclusion of your case and will store it for a further two years, or for a further five years if your case has financial, police/justice, health, social care or immigration implications. If you have consented to receive occasional updates on a particular policy area, we will keep your details on file until you withdraw your consent to these updates. Any personal information will be handled confidentially, in line with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation. If you would like information about this legislation, this can be obtained from the Information Commissioner’s Office through their website www.ico.org.uk or advice line 0303 123 1113.
If you have consented to receive occasional updates on a particular policy area, we will keep your details on file until you withdraw your consent to these updates. If you have consented to receive occasional updates from me on my work in Parliament, we will keep your details on file until you withdraw your consent to these updates.
Will the Office of Angela Smith MP share my personal data with anyone else?
We may pass your personal data on to third-party service providers contracted to the Office of Angela Smith MP in the course of dealing with you, such as local authorities, government agencies, public bodies, health trusts, regulators, and so on. Any third parties that we may share your data with are obliged to keep your details securely, and to use them only to fulfil the service they provide and answer queries we raise on your behalf. When they no longer need your data to fulfil this service, they will dispose of the details in line with their procedures. If we wish to pass your special categories of personal data to a third party we will only do so once we have obtained your consent, unless we are legally required to do otherwise.
Angela Smith MP may pass your personal information to the Independent Group of MPs in Parliament, but only if you have expressly given permission for this to happen.
How will the Office of Angela Smith MP use the personal data it collects about me?
The Office of Angela Smith MP will process (collect, store and use) the information you provide in a manner compatible with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We will endeavour to keep your information accurate and up to date, and not keep it for longer than is necessary. The Office of Angela Smith MP is required to retain information in accordance with the law, such as information needed for income tax and audit purposes. How long certain kinds of personal data should be kept may also be governed by specific requirements and agreed practices. Personal data may be held in addition to these periods depending on individual needs.
If you have consented to receive occasional updates from me on my work in Parliament, we will keep your details on file until you withdraw your consent to these updates.
Under what circumstances will the Office of Angela Smith MP contact me?
Our aim is not to be intrusive, and we undertake not to ask irrelevant or unnecessary questions. Moreover, the information you provide will be subject to rigorous measures and procedures to minimise the risk of unauthorised access or disclosure.
Can I find out the personal data that the Office of Angela Smith MP holds about me?
At your request, the Office of Angela Smith MP can confirm what information we hold about you and how it is processed. If the Office of Angela Smith MP does hold personal data about you, you can request the following information:
- Our identity and contact details.
- Contact details of the data protection officer.
- The purpose of the processing as well as the legal basis for processing.
- If the processing is based on the legitimate interests of the Office of Angela Smith MP or a third party, information about those interests.
- The categories of personal data collected, stored and processed.
- Recipient(s) or categories of recipients that the data is/will be disclosed to.
- If we intend to transfer the personal data to a third country or international organisation, information about how we ensure this is done securely. The EU has approved sending personal data to some countries because they meet a minimum standard of data protection. In other cases, we will ensure there are specific measures in place to secure your information.
- How long the data will be stored.
- Details of your rights to correct, erase, restrict or object to such processing.
- Information about your right to withdraw consent at any time.
- How to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority.
- Whether the provision of personal data is a statutory or contractual requirement, or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract, as well as whether you are obliged to provide the personal data and the possible consequences of failing to provide such data.
- The source of personal data if it wasn’t collected directly from you.
- Any details and information about automated decision making, such as profiling, and any meaningful information about the logic involved, as well as the significance and expected consequences of such processing.
What forms of ID will I need to provide in order to access this?
The Office of Angela Smith MP accepts the following forms of ID when information on your personal data is requested:
Passport, driving licence, birth certificate, utility bill (from last 3 months)
Contact details of the Office Manager:
The MP’s Office, 2 Maria House, 3 Fox Valley Way, Stocksbridge, Sheffield S36 2AA
Contact details for the Information Commissioner’s Office:
Social Media Platforms
Communication, engagement and actions taken through external social media platforms that this website and its owner participate on are custom to the terms and conditions as well as the privacy policies held with each social media platform respectively.
Users are advised to use social media platforms wisely and communicate/engage upon them with due care and caution in regard to their own privacy and personal details.
This website may use social sharing buttons which help share web content directly from web pages to the social media platform in question. Users are advised before using such social sharing buttons that they do so at their own discretion and note that the social media platform may track and save your request to share a web page respectively through your social media platform account.
Although Angela Smith MP and her office intend to include only quality, safe and relevant external links, users are advised to adopt a policy of caution before clicking any external web links mentioned throughout this website (External links are clickable text/banner/ image links to other websites).
The owner of this website cannot guarantee or verify the contents of any externally linked website despite their best efforts. Users should, therefore, note they click on external links at their own risk and this website and its owners cannot be held liable for any damages or implications caused by visiting any external links mentioned.
We keep our privacy notice under regular review.
Last updated: May 2018
Site usage information
When Angela provides services, she wants to make them easy, useful and reliable. Where services are delivered on the internet, this sometimes involves placing small amounts of information on your device, for example, computer or mobile phone. These include small files known as cookies. They cannot be used to identify you personally.
These pieces of information are used to improve services for you through, for example:
enabling a service to recognise your device so you don't have to give the same information several times during one task, recognising that you may already have given a username and password so you don't need to do it for every web page requested, measuring how many people are using services, so they can be made easier to use and there's enough capacity to ensure they are fast
You can manage these small files yourself and learn more about them through Internet browser cookies - what they are and how to manage them.
Your Rights as a Data Subject
As a data subject, you have various rights under the Act, including a right of access to any personal data being held about you Angela Smith MP as data the controller. Angela will supply you with details of personal data we are holding about you if you submit a subject access request.